The 2020 course is held in eight half day online sessions between 22 September and 9 October through the Zoom Video Conferencing Software.
Registration deadline for the 2020 Core Facility Leadership and Management Course by GerBI-GMB and hfp consulting: 31 August 2020
- We are pleased to announce that the 2020 Core Facility Leadership and Management Course by GerBI-GMB and hfp consulting will be extended to four full days (as eight half-day sessions in the online format), in response to the feedback provided by the participants of the course in 2019.
- The concept of core facilities, central hubs for demanding technical and analytics services, is rapidly changing how science is carried out at many research institutions. Core facility managers, often academically trained scientists, find themselves in a variety of different roles that demand a broad set of skills they traditionally haven’t been taught in their career. Managing budgets, structuring the facility to work most productively, recruiting the right people, negotiating with partners, clients and vendors, dealing with hierarchy and addressing role conflicts are some of the challenges core facility managers typically face. GerBI-GMB in collaboration with hfp consulting, a group specialised in supporting scientists to improve their leadership and management skills, have developed an intense, interactive and highly specialised workshop that addresses these challenges.
- Please find an event report about the GerBI Core Facility Management Course for Imaging Specialists 2014 in:
- Imaging & Microscopy (page 12)
In this practical course, designed specifically for core facility managers in the life sciences, you will learn how to:
- Balance your different roles
- Build a productive team culture
- Deal with conflicts constructively
- Manage your time better
- Delegate tasks more effectively
- Deal with different personalities in the team
- Position your facility in your organisation strategically
- Negotiate more effectively
- Hire the right people
- Manage your budget
We approach these topics practically. Short theoretical inputs are followed by extensive exercises. Our goal is to increase the impact of the training by immediately applying the concepts we teach in partner exercises, case studies, and simulations during the workshop. The course language is English.
- Tuesday, 22 Sep
- Thursday, 24 Sep
- Monday, 28 Sep
- Wednesday, 30 Sep
- Friday, 2 Oct
- Monday, 5 Oct
- Wednesday, 7 Oct
- Friday, 9 Oct
- The online course will take place in eight complementary half-day sessions. Each session will last 3.5 hours (including a break), from 09:00 - 12:30 CEST.
- Stable internet connection
- Zoom Video Conferencing Software (app / Zoom Client installed)
Terms and Conditions
This course is catered for scientists working or planning to work in a life science core facility.
is 31st of August 2020. Places are allocated to eligible applicants on a "first come, first served" basis.
For cancellations received one month before the beginning of the course (21 August), fees will be refunded minus 25 € for administrative costs. After this one month rule, no refund will be possible for last minute cancellation or no-show. If cancellation is due to sickness then a medical certificate is required. Cancellations must be sent to the GerBI-GMB office.
Evaluation results of past courses